Tom got me!
- Name one book that changed your life.
Peter and Jane taught me to read.
- One book you’ve read more than once.
Gravity’s Rainbow, I found I had to, just to try and understand what he was on about.
- One book you’d want on a desert island.
Gravity’s Rainbow, to see whether I still enjoy it as much as I did when I last read it 15 years ago.
- One book that made you laugh.
The Rotter’s Club
- One book that made you cry.
Can’t remember that ever happening, but I do remember at about the age of 10 a big lump in the throat during The Hobbit when one of the dwarfs died.
- One book you wish you’d written.
Never had the desire to write a book.
- One book you wish had never been written.
I was given and tried to read Ben Elton’s High Society, but found it so turgid that I left it on a plane without bothering to finish it. The in-flight magazine was better written and more enjoyable.
- One book you’re currently reading.
A Suitable Boy– I really love it but I’ve been reading it for the last 3 years. I even tried reading it to my family as our book at bedtime but the kids told me that it doesn’t have pictures and they were bored; so there it sits waiting for me to commit again. I’m also more actively engaged by Roy Jenkin’s Churchill which is teaching me all sorts of stuff about the great man I didn’t know.
- One book you’ve been meaning to read.
Gulag, by Anne Applebaum, I’ve started but my good intentions are missing at the moment.
- Now tag five people.
Bob, James, Max, Snowflake, and Fiona.