Then the no-longer in existence DTI has a quiz for you.
I come out with these as my top five atributes:
- Reflective – Leaders make time to see the big picture and make sense of what is happening.
- Enthuser – Describes the capacity to make work fun, to be positive, generous and ‘up beat’, to energise others and to bring a contagious enthusiasm to the workplace.
- Opportunity Awareness – Those with this ability think ‘out’ as well as forward.
- Knowing What Works! – This describes the capacity to make shrewd judgements when faced with a range of alternative ways forward.
- Visionary – These people can tell compelling stories of the future they want to create and they do this so effectively that others are challenged to work with them to create it.
But it isn’t all good news. These are the four attributes the test results suggest I need to work on:
- Self Reliance – Describes those who recognise that they are self-confident and more comfortable than most to take calculated risks.
- Values Champion – This describes leaders who are clear about their core values at work and in life, and who can articulate and then demonstrate these.
- Social Adaptability – Describes the ability to easily converse with, and relate to, people from a variety of backgrounds in a range of settings.
- Consistent – Leaders who have strength in this area are quick to spot inconsistencies between behaviours and values.
Not sure it’s massively helpful in the context of my annual appraisal tomorrow, but that may just be a lack of self-reliance shining through…