You know all this crime mapping stuff, well it turns out the Metropolitan Police have a very good website already.
From which I find that across Lewisham:
- total crime was up (marginally) from last year (but against a fall in London as a whole);
- 4% of London’s murders happened in Lewisham last year;
- crimes of violence against the person rose by 782 offences on last year;
- reported robbery was down by 762 cases;
- burglary also fell by 765 cases;
- there were 77 fewer racist crimes; and
- 15 fewer homophobic crimes.
There’s ward level data too should you want to dig down. From which I’ve found out that I’m marginally more likely to be burgled than the average Lewisham resident, but less likely to be a victim of fraud or forgery, or to be a victim of violence.
It’s this sort of rolling information that would have been very helpful when I was chairing the neighbourhood police panel as a local councillor. And I hope that all the current councillors and members of the panel have had the site brought to their attention.